- I have a Law degree with first class honours from the University of Sydney. I also have a Communications degree majoring in Journalism.
- I decided to work at Gilbert + Tobin because of its reputation as Australia’s leading telecommunications, media and technology firm, and its impressive intellectual property practice. I was also keen to work with partners like Peter Leonard and Sheila McGregor (both named in Chambers Global as leading practitioners in telecommunications, media and technology).
- I have rotated through the Intellectual Property Group and the Communications + Technology Group.
- Apart from the social activities (free food and alcohol), the best thing about my clerkship experience had to be the work! From the very beginning I was given interesting and challenging tasks that required gaining an understanding of areas of law and policy that I did not necessarily learn at university. For example, as a clerk I wrote an extensive trade marks advice to a client (having not yet studied Intellectual Property) and contributed to a paper that would change telecommunications regulatory policy in Bangladesh!
- The proudest moment of my career so far was seeing a piece of advice I had written get sent straight to a client with barely any changes made – and with my name on it!
- If I was Managing Partner of Gilbert + Tobin I would not change its open door policy and egalitarian culture. But I probably would change the brand of champagne served at Friday night drinks!
- I think Gilbert + Tobin stands out amongst other firms because of the people – they’re creative, friendly, hard-working, intelligent, interesting and non-judgmental! Gilbert + Tobin doesn’t expect its lawyers to all fit the same mould.
- When I’m not working I go shopping – word of advice, when you get your first pay cheque, don’t spend it all in the first day!
- The last book I read was Elizabeth I by David Starkey. A fantastic book about an extraordinary woman – refusing to marry, her reign lasted over 40 years in a time when princesses and
queens were only as good as their next husband!
- If I was going back to university now I’d study International Relations so that I could gain a better insight into the world we live in and its current socio-political climate.